Sunday, February 25, 2007

Oh the weather outside is frightful...

Not snow, but awful freezing, pelting rain, the kind that makes you cold for hours after you come inside. I usually like rain, and some of my best memories involve dancing in a warm rain. But I hate that cold, piercing stuff.

Oddly enough, the rain has made me start thinking about spring. February is almost over, and spring is only weeks away. Spring means new beginnings, and it feels particularly significant to me this year, since I am in a new house and starting my life fresh. Spring is my favorite time of year. I love watching the plants bloom, seeing the haze of green magically appear on the trees, and the way warm rain smells on new grass.

The biggest anticipation for me this year is planning what plants to grow. Last year I had some success with container gardening, and this year should be even better, since I have better space and lots more light. According to the previous owners of the house, there are lots of perennials planted in beds around the house, so I won't be planting anything new in the ground until I see what is there already, but I am excited about what kinds of vegetables I can coax out of my pots. I am also considering starting a couple of grape vines and building a little grape trellis. I have really wonderful memories of my grandmother's scuppernongs, and the thought of having my own makes me happy, even though it take a few years just to get any fruit. Eventually I would love to build a grape arbor over my patio, but that is still a few years down the road too. For now I will be content with a few tomatoes, and cucumber or two, and maybe enough grape leaves to inspire some hope.

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

"Spring means new beginnings, and it feels particularly significant to me this year, since I am in a new house and starting my life fresh."

So very true, all the very best for the future x