Monday, November 06, 2006

The curse of the recommendation letter

Last week I was asked to write letters of recommendation for two of my theatre kids who are applying to summer Governor's school. I went to Governor's school for choral music when I was in high school, and it was one of the top three best experiences of my entire life, so obviously I am thrilled that they want to go, and I am happy to support them.
The problem? Letters of recommendation suck. How do you condense several years of experiences with a kid into one double spaced page? I know that the selection committees receive hundreds of letters all with essentially the same stuff: great student, highly recommend, blahty bitty blah. In my case, it winds up involving lots of four syllable words and a lot of hoping that the judges will be able to interpret all the gobbledy gook and see the real person behind all my words.

No comments: